Tuesday, June 7, 2022

The litter in Rand Park can end up in the Newark Bay? : Yep! Toney's Brook and the toxic Passaic River

During the fall of my freshman year, my friend and I would eat lunch on the grass next to Toney's brook everyday. Little did I know, I'd spend the rest of my high school years on possibly that same water for hours of the day. Though it may seem like a weak little stream to us, in the 19th and early 20th century, Toney's Brook actually supported several mills. These mills produced lumber, beer, calico, brass fittings, and pasteboard boxes. Toney's Brook not only flows through Rand Park, but through Anderson Park, Edgemont Park, Glenfield Park, and then into Bloomfield where it joins a tributary of the Passaic River. As a member of our school's rowing team, I spend 13+ hours at this notoriously stinky, polluted, and icky river per week. So fun! 

Here is a rare photo of the Passaic River 
actually looking pretty nice!

Quick story to testify to the river's ickiness : I unintentionally gave my teammate both an eye AND an ear infection one time because I kept accidentally splashing her during practice ... oops. Anyways, I learned only recently that our very own Toney's Brook connected to the river - which I basically call home at this point - and I started thinking about the garbage and litter I always see in Rand Park. Could the empty bag of chips I saw on the park path last week be the same one caught on my oar today at practice? I learned that the Passaic flows from Millington Gorge in Long Hill Township, through Berkeley Heights, Summit, Chatham Borough, Millburn, Livingston, Florham Park, East Hanover, Little Falls, Paterson, Clifton, Garfield, Kearney, Nutley, and Belleville, before finally entering the Newark Bay. The distance from our school's segment of Toney's Brook to the Newark Bay is about 20 miles, yet the things we leave in Toney's brook could end up there, or in any of the places the Passaic flows through. 


Map of the Passaic River


But our personal pollution of Toney's brook is not responsible for the Passaic River being considered one of the most polluted stretches of water in the nation (though you still shouldn't litter by the brook ... or anywhere, for that matter). In the mid-20th century, manufacturing companies, such as Diamond Alkali, a chemical company, used the Passaic River as their personal garbage can. Pesticides, herbicides, layers of dioxin, mercury, PCBs and even components of Agent Orange, were dumped into the river. Many of these chemicals are known to cause health issues, like birth defects or cancer, and are extremely harmful to the wildlife and those living along the river. Even with hopeful cleanup projects taking place, the wildlife in the river are still decades from recovery. Since 1984, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection has banned commercial fishing from the river, and advised the public not to eat fish caught in the Passaic. 

Photos of Nereid Boathouse cleanup, following flooding caused by Hurricane Ida
After spending about 6 hours shoveling toxic mud, I was covered with some lovely hives. 

Though the issues of the Passaic River have been piling up for many years, not much has been done up until recently to try and clean the water. Most of the communities living near the water are lower-income communities of color, who are often wrongfully blamed for the trashiness of the river. Since the early 80s, activists from these communities, along with environmental activists, have demanded state and federal investigations into the toxic waste put into the river. In 2014, the Environmental Protection Agency announced a plan to remove segments of toxic mud from the bottom of the river. Since then, there have been two smaller cleanup projects, but they haven't done enough to make significant, lasting, change. In 2021, the Environmental Protection Agency and New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection announced a plan for the reclamation of the Passaic. This project intends to remove enough toxic mud to fill the Red Bull Arena three times over. The project is called The Diamond Alkali cleanup, named after one of the companies responsible for Passaic River contamination, and is projected to cost over 1.8 billion dollars. The cleanup is expected to be paid for by the very companies that polluted the river. A nine-mile portion of the river is expected to cost 441 million dollars to cleanup, and another, more polluted 8.3 mile portion, is expected to cost 1.4 billion dollars to clean up. One of the goals of the Diamond Alkali Project is to build a riverfront park along the Lower Passaic River. This would create environmental and recreational benefits such as paths for stormwater to flow through, meadow and wetland areas, trees and shrubs, and healthier water to kayak or boat on. 

Though it is currently disgusting, this is a place I love very much!

The Passaic has been poisoned for the past 60 years, so full restoration is still many. many years away, but the goal of the EPA, NJDEP, and those who love the river, is to see it make its way back to being the river it once was. Prior to its contamination, people would swim in the Passaic, and it was considered the river that built New Jersey. Though I'll probably be too withered and old to row by the time the cleanup is hopefully done, I am eager to see the change that has been promised. I hope that future Passaic River rowers will not have to live in fear of getting the water in their blisters. 

15 comments:

  1. this was amazing Alex, so well written and I loved the personal touches! Also really cool to see how our little brook is part of something larger :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. I had no idea how the little brook at the high school was part of such a big story. The personal anecdotes are very interesting and made this a super fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once had a friend tell me that the same stream behind her house was probably connected to the Passaic, and I had a really hard time believing her. After reading your post it makes a lot more sense to me just how connected the many rivers and streams near us are, and really emphasizes the impact littering and the dumping of other wastes has on the environment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this Alex :) Well written and informative. I liked how you included the part about people of color being wrongfully blamed for the waste in the river, something most people probably did not know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how personalized your post is, Alex! To have such a connection to Tony's Brook and help spread awareness about the pollution it can lead is really awesome since you're by the water all day. So interesting how the brook used to be a huge part of the community centuries ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a wonderful writer and the topic you chose is fascinating! It's incredible how one stream can connect so many areas! I had no idea just how toxic the Passaic was, makes me more aware of the trash left behind in Rand Park. Like others have commented, the personal anecdotes and humor made this an engaging read. You clearly did your research and have created a very enlightening read, thanks so much for shedding a light on this subject!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so interesting! I really liked how you tied in your personal experiences, and related the pollution back to our own town—it really makes the issues hit close to home. I had heard about the pollution in the Passaic River, but this showed me just how dangerous the situation is. It was also so important that you brought up the social implications of the pollution, like the misplacement of blame towards communities of color. Thanks for sharing this info with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is super well written and the pictures are so great and personalized to you. I like how you chose a topic that is personal and important to you. This situation is super saddening and speaks a lot to the environmental state of our planet. Thank you for bringing light to this issue!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always heard about how dirty and polluted the Passaic River is but I never actually knew and understood HOW dirty and polluted it is. This was really well written and your relationship with rowing and the river show the personal impact that it has. The caption on your last image describes the relationship perfectly and encourages me and a lot of people to care about this river which is so close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading your post, especially because Tony's Brook runs through my backyard and I never really take the time to think about it and its history (and its effects). I am also interested in how you brought in the idea of lower income communities are often wrongfully blamed for the state of passaic river and the bigger issue that this belongs to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how personal this felt! It was very interesting to read about how connected all the areas around us are. It definitely will make me think to pick up more trash near/in the streams when I see it. I hope you get to see the river cleaned one day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this post because it opened my eyes to how Tony's Brook, which is something most people at MHS see everyday and don't think about, can be so historical and can also have such an impact on one of the more infamous waterways in the state. It made me upset when I found out how expensive it would be to clean up just one waterway in one state, and makes me think about how expensive it must be to cleanse the waterways across the country.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this post! It is sad that it often takes a personal touch to make something feel real and pressing, but by showing how large scale issues like the poisoning of an ENTIRE river can be affected by our own little brook, you really made me examine the behavior of myself and my town, and how it has a broader impact. Your photos are beautiful, so it's hard to think that that idyllic place is actually so toxic it can cause infection. I did appreciate the positive note you ended on by discussing restoration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great post about a not so great situation! It's heartbreaking to see how much of an impact pollution has. Especially since it's so close to home, it really puts into perspective the larger scale picture of water contamination, from Tony's Brook to the Passaic to the Bay, etc. I love how you wrote about this from personal experience, and those sunsets are gorgeous <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome post! It was really cool that you could relate it back to your experience with crew. It's really disheartening to hear about how polluted the river is, especially with it being so close to home. Learning more about how Tony's brook connects into the waterways of NJ was really interesting, and it was great to hear that there are billion dollar projects being implemented to help with the pollution, it gives me hope that someday the river will be returned to a condition that matches the beauty of the photos.

    ReplyDelete