Saturday, June 4, 2022

Cats: The Killing Machines

How can you possibly not enjoy cats? Domesticated cats have been by our sides for 10,000 years, and for good reason! These cuddly creatures warm our hearts with their affectionate and silly behavior. Just look at the cat pictured below. Adorable, right? (Though a little annoying when you're trying to do homework!)

Photo taken by me of my cat being a cute distraction. 

If you love cats as much as I do, then you'd probably be shocked to learn about how terrible they are for the environment! Obviously I knew that cats were killers. I think every cat owner has had to deal with their cats trying to bring in a dead animal, or worse, successfully bringing in a live one (damn you Rupert!). But I had no idea cats were actually an invasive species and are really bad for the ecosystem. No wonder all cartoon villains are pictured stroking a cat! Although, looking at this picture of my cat Hugo, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. 
Photo taken by me of my cat looking menacing whilst behind a chess board. 

Outdoor cats pose a threat to many small animals, killing a whopping 1.4 billion to 3.7 billion birds each year. That's not even the worst of it though. Cats kill about 6.9 billion to 20.7 billion mammals each year! Now you might be thinking, "what's the big deal? I could use a little less bird chirping at 5:00 AM or less mice trying to make a home in my house." Well, the problem is that the large removal of these animals results in decreased biodiversity, which could have major effects on our lives. Biodiversity is a necessary part of our ecosystem, and something we heavily rely on. You might not have stopped to think about it, but everything we need, from clean water and food to even the air we breathe, comes from an ecosystem that relies on biodiversity. Having a variety of species in an ecosystem allows for functions such as clean air, pest control, and more to occur naturally, and generally results in more productivity; it creates self reliance within the ecosystem. This is why removing even one species from an ecosystem can have a negative impact. Take woodpeckers, for example, which are keystone species, meaning that the ecosystem is greatly reliant on the species. If you remove woodpeckers from their habitat, there will be less woodpecker nest-holes. The amount of owls and other birds who use these abandoned holes would also decrease as they would have no shelter. In response to the decreased bird population, the species that get eaten by the birds would then increase. See how removing one group has such a big impact on the ecosystem around it? That's because of the reliance all organisms have on each other. Look at the table below for example!
Photo taken from Wikimedia Commons that depicts the trophic levels organized in a pyramid. 

In this pyramid, the levels below are necessary for the levels above to survive. This is because through predation and consumption, energy is transferred through the bottom levels to the top levels. So besides species providing homes and living conditions for other species, such as the case with the woodpeckers, decreasing an animal population also decreases the amount of food and energy in an ecosystem. The issue  with cats is that they're not just decreasing the amount of species in the environment, they're wiping them out completely. Cats have aided in the extinction of sixty-three species of birds, mammals, and reptiles, and have hunted other species to near extinction. This issue is so severe that domestic cats were put on the list of the world's worst invasive non-native species according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature. This is a genuine issue and not something to be overlooked or pushed aside. So now you might be saying, "wow jeez Kat you're right! This is a serious issue! Is there anything I can do to help with this issue?" Well, I'm glad you asked! There's actually a simple solution to this issue if you're a cat owner. Don't let your cats outside unless on a leash or in an enclosure. Most of my cats don't really like going outside, aside from that orange and white cat in the first photo (his name is Lil Dude if you were curious. I know, adorable). Since Lil Dude is an escape artist and the living definition of the phrase, "when there's a will, there's a way," my family has an electric collar for him. LISTEN I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING. That sounds unethical. But after doing our own research, we found that this is what works best for our yard and our cat, and it's a static shock equivalent to what you'd get on a metal playground, so it's not too intense. The intensity of the shock is also dependent on the size of the animal, so he's not experiencing something disproportionately painful. This was the best solution we could find to limit my cat's interaction with the outside world without cutting it off completely, so both the birds and the cats can be happy. It's also important to support your local animal shelters. These shelters are usually responsible for catching and housing feral cats as well as other animals that pose a threat to other species, so helping them also helps the ecosystem. Supporting and pushing for legislation that protects animals and wildlife can also help facilitate biodiversity and undo some of the effects of cats. To learn more about possible solutions, you can go here

P.S. For the record I am still on team cats in the ongoing cats v. dogs argument. Yes, cats kill a lot of animals and that is bad, but I once saw my dog gleefully running around with a deer leg in her mouth so I mean that's basically the same thing. Team cats all the way!!

9 comments:

  1. I found this post really interesting and funny. It is crazy to think that a species like house cats could severely damage our environment . I also think a lot of cat owners are unaware of this problem and it is important to educate people on this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always on team indoor cat because of how outdoor cats typically have a drastically decreased lifespan, but I had no idea they were killing so many animals. I always feel bad not letting my cat outside all the time, so I try and let him sniff around every so often (though once I put him in a backpack and tried to take him on a walk and it went really really badly). I know a lot of cat owners have their cats bring them dead or alive "gifts" so I can definitely see how this problem may add up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was really interesting! I knew that cats were technically an invasive species, but I hadn't realized the negative extent to which they impact the species around them (I was shocked when you said that they aided in the extinction of 63 species!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I gotta say that I LOVE your writing style!! I was engaged in your post through and through and learned a lot while simultaneously trying to count how many cats you had, while trying to figure out how good Hugo is at chess (I think I've settled on you having three cats, and Hugo being exceptional at chess?). You did a great job explaining the problem that outdoor cats pose to the environment, and you're the first person who's ever actually explained to me WHY biodiversity is important. Plus, you mentioned some possible solutions to the biodiversity issues caused by cats and explained how there isn't necessarily a one-size-fits-all way to solve the problem, which I appreciated. Great job, Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea that my cat was a real killeršŸ˜±! This post was very interesting, informative, and insightful and made me really think about how things so close to home can affect the biodiversity of our environment. Some of the facts that you mentioned were really surprising, especially the one that mentioned how cats have aided the extinction of sixty-three species of birds, mammals, and reptiles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kat, I absolutely LOVED your post. It was funny, informative, personal, and very very you. I did not realize that cats had such a big impact on their ecosystems, and am happy to report that I do not own a killer cat. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Firstly, your cats are adorable!! Secondly, this post is crazy. I had no idea that cats were at least partially responsible for the extinction of so many species and I had no clue how deadly cats could be. It is also super important for people to be aware of this so that they can be responsible cat owners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As someone who owned an outdoor cat, I had no idea how much of an impact they had on biodiversity!! Unfortunately, my cat was 10000% part of this issue, and I really wish I read this post earlier so I could have done something about her murderous tendencies. On a more positive note, I loved reading this and your cats are so adorable! :) Still not sure about how I feel about the whole cats vs. dogs situation. Having both, it's really hard to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katrina!! This is such an interesting post. Naively, it never occurred to me that a seemingly small part of the ecosystem like cats could have such a broad affect on biodiversity. The potential that outdoor cats kill 3.7 billion birds a year is wild. I can't even imagine that number! I was so in the dark about this issue that it makes me wonder what other human behaviors and are having an environmental impact that I'm not aware of. Also- I am team cat too!! My mom brings our cat for walks on a harness!

    ReplyDelete