Monday, June 6, 2022

Perfect Pitch: A Lucky Chance or Autosomal Dominance?

From the tone-deaf people to the ones who can “carry a tune” to the thoroughly trained opera singers to even those with perfect pitch, every individual's voice starts somewhere. I come from a very musical family--my dad has a special tonal recognition called relative pitch and my grandfather is a multi-instrument musician. But my mom, well, my mom is completely, and utterly, tone-deaf. Where do I fall on this spectrum? Well, I have a 1/10,000 tonal recognition called perfect pitch. This means I could sing any note on the spot for you, and/or tell you what a note is. Pretty cool, right?!?

Here is a photo of me when I played the Clarinet- I was 9! The notes on the piano, concert pitch, were not labeled the same as on the clarinet. This confused me and is how my family discovered my weird ability.


After discovering I had such abilities, a question pondered throughout my brain. How in the WORLD is this possible?!?! First of all, why me? And second of all, HOW me?

Until I took AP Biology this year, I had absolutely no clue. After learning about really cool and rare genetic disorders, my brain had a spark. But I still was not positive. So, after some research, I have come to discover that perfect pitch is an autosomal dominant trait. The interesting thing about having perfect pitch is that there is no way to know if you have it without musical training. Without hearing the notes and identifying them from a young age, one with the trait would never know they had it. (So lucky for me I come from a musical family!)

There is a controversy around this topic though. Some researchers believe that perfect pitch is developed through intensive training, while others believe it is a genetic trait. But, scientist Dr. Profita was determined to discover the genetics and inheritance pattern behind the genetic trait. He discovered evidence that perfect pitch follows an autosomal dominant inheritance pattern using a test and studying family trees. Dr. Profita is a psychiatrist at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Sepulveda, Calif, and an assistant professor at the University of California at Los Angeles. He went on to explain that the trait is dominant and carried by a single gene rather than on a sex chromosome. Sons and daughters of parents who have the gene have a 50% chance of acquiring it.

According to Dr. Profita, and the New York Times Article, Perfect Pitch: The Key May Lie in the Genes, most musicians have "good relative pitch." "You play a note and they can't recognize it," he added, "but if you tell them what the note is, they can figure out additional notes that are related to it." "Many musicians regard it as a more valuable skill than perfect pitch." This is what my dad has. It makes perfect sense as to why I have perfect pitch when my dad has something similar. Well, kinda makes sense.

Like I said before, my mom cannot sing a single note. I wondered how slim the chances of a relative pitch father and a Tone-deaf mother having a daughter with perfect pitch were. Although the specific gene that this trait is located on is unclear, what is clear is that there was a 50% or less chance of me receiving this trait; since it is an autosomal dominant and inherited trait.

I know notes like I know my colors. I never have thought twice about how most people do not have this ability--I figured it was as easy for anyone else as it was for me. It actually is very common for people who have perfect pitch to think like this. This was found in a study by Dr. Drayna, a geneticist who became very interested in Profita's work as he has family members with Perfect Pitch. He developed a test to discover more information.

As per Dr. Profita and Dr. Drayna, the first section tests the traditional definition of perfect pitch. The subject is asked to name a note that is played by the tester. The respondent must then identify the notes or how many notes are being played as the tester plays progressively complex chords. The second section of the test is a broader assessment of hearing ability that does not require professional musical expertise. He claims that many persons with perfect pitch cannot read music but can play four or five instruments by ear. The test is divided into six sections, each with sub-scores totaling 700 points. In one segment, the tester plays one note and then plays another note a minute later. The subject must specify whether the notes are identical or different. The individual is asked to playback a complicated piece several minutes after hearing it for the first time as the test becomes more difficult.

The results were satisfying. Out of 25 people, 3 scored below a 100, 11 scored from 175-to 375, 7 scored from 425 to 595, and 4 people scored from 650 to 700. As none of these scores overlapped with each other, the scientists then came to the conclusion that Perfect Pitch is a dominant trait.

A study was done by the University of Chicago studying the concept of auditory learning. Perfect pitch study has placed the findings in the context of psychology, adding to growing evidence that invalidates the assumption that people's skills are natural, genetic traits: They suggest that these abilities are more adaptable. This suggests that people may be able to develop their abilities later in life than previously anticipated in the case of auditory learning—languages, music, and other sounds. This introduces a whole new environment for learning- those who learn best through sound. I would put myself in this category, and the study that was done really does make sense for those with audio-linked traits. 

In the future, Dr. Drayna hopes to do a genetic-linkage study with families who have more than one member with the trait. He would take blood samples from each family member and scientists would search their chromosomes with gene probes, and would look for some sort of coinheritance. This could be extremely beneficial for the world of music, and science!

Even if I did not have perfect pitch, I would still be extremely interested in this study and research. My family's musical abilities are all so different from each other, and I would love to figure out exactly why. But for now, my cool trait remains a sort-of mystery!

Below is a video of my perfect pitch in action- enjoy!






16 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Up until now, I thought perfect pitch was something taught, but it never occurred to me that it could be related to genetics as well. You did a great job expanding on it. I also really liked how you connected it to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also always thought that perfect pitch was something you developed rather than simply had! It's also super cool that you were able to learn that you had this trait once you began to study music! As you mentioned, though, it's hard to know if this trait is something that a person has unless they have musical training, but I wonder if perfect pitch applies to hearing in general outside of the scope of music, and if it can be recognized in people in that sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super interesting!! I had no idea that perfect pitch was inherited. My brother has perfect pitch and I thought that he had the ability by random chance. It is super weird to think that I had the same likelihood of inheriting it too and that it's likely that members of my family have perfect pitch and have no idea since many of them never had any musical training. Perfect pitch is super cool and I never realized the science behind having it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your blog post! I come from a family with very little musical talent so I found learning about perfect pitch and relative pitch really fascinating. I also always figured having any sort of musical talent was somewhat random and something that could be learned, so learning about the genetics related to perfect pitch was very surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so fascinating! I always thought perfect pitch was acquired, not genetic. It's very cool to see that it is actually genetic. It's so cool to see you use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is so interesting! Really cool how you were able to relate something unique about yourself back to things we learned about in AP bio. Super informative and engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked how you related the post back to yourself which meant you really had a connection with the topic and I saw it as I read it! Really good post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ella! I love how you made your post something you relate to and that you personalized it. The video showing the example is truly amazing, and you explained the concept extremely well. It was an overall super cool post, great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. THIS IS SOOOOO COOL! Amazing topic choice and that video adds so much! It's cool to now know the science behind you always telling me i'm off pitch :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so fascinating!! I've read a bit about perfect pitch in the book Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks (people are more likely to know they have perfect pitch if they speak a tonal language such as Japanese, and much more likely to have relative pitch) but I didn't know it was genetic! I myself am pretty tone deaf so it's very cool to hear how different your perception of music is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and this blog post are SO SO SO SO impressive! I only know about this because I saw a Charlie Puth post talking about it a couple years ago, so it's cool to know that it effects someone I know as well! Also, that clarinet picture is really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOOOOOOVE THIS! I had no idea that perfect pitch was genetic I always thought it was something you learned how to do. It feels like it's some sort of super power you have but you would never know if you didn't have musical training... thats crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post was so engaging and interesting, Ella! I loved hearing your personal story, and then seeing your talent tied into what we learned this year about autosomal traits. Perfect pitch is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool! I love how personal it was and getting to see it in action. I learned something cool about genetics AND my lab partner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing Ella! I always assumed that Perfect Pitch was random, sort of like being really good at math. It's amazing to think that it can be passed down through generations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this is cool! I did a tiny bit of research into this for my paper of nature vs nurture so seeing it more in depth was super cool. I really enjoyed reading this ella, I wish I had this gift (but I guess it's just not in my DNA;).

    ReplyDelete