Friday, June 12, 2020

Seeing Sounds, Hearing Colors, and Tasting Words

Synesthesia. Sounds interesting, right? Well, it really, really is. Synesthesia is a neurological condition that causes the brain to process data in the form of several senses at once. While most people haven't heard of this remarkable phenomenon, it's relatively common. Research suggests that 1 in every 2,000 people are synesthetes, and some research even suggests 1 in every 300 people have a variation. I wish I was so lucky to have it. There are many variations of synesthesia, but effects could include seeing sounds, hearing colors, and tasting words. How does synesthesia work on the brain you may ask? In simple terms, when you experience one sense, your brain involuntarily connects it to another sense. So, when a “grapheme-color synesthete” hears a number or letter, he or she automatically sees that number or letter in a specific color, a color that remains associated with that particular letter or number throughout life. For example, Billy Joel senses blue or green colors when he hears slow or soft music.
Synesthesia: How does your name taste? – The Brain Bank North West   
Senses in relationship to parts of the brain (Source)

Billy Joel isn't the only well-known person who has this experience. Some of the most creative people in the world owe it in part to this condition. John Mayer, Kanye West, Alessia Cara, Billie Eilish, Beyonce, and Duke Ellington were just a few of the well-known people with synesthesia. Imagine having a four-dimensional outlook on everything--it could be life-altering. As someone who loves colors and music, I think being able to have an ability similar to these people would be wonderful. But there are some things I wonder about... 

I often question if everyone can see the same colors. Let's say when I look at "grey," I see what we would consider as blue. But, when my friend looks at "grey," she actually sees what we consider green. If this happened for every color, we could never really know. Because we would all be defining our own colors. It also could partially explain people's tastes in fashion, art, and more. While this isn't synesthesia, we know for a fact that synesthetes have a similar experience. When I look at grey and see grey, a synesthete could see grey while hearing jazz music. Everything is more enhanced. I wish there were some kind of glasses or machine that could allow us to experience synesthesia. Look later in this post where I find out there actually IS a way (and it's not drug-related).
Amazon.com: A Mango-Shaped Space (8601417156988): Mass, Wendy: Books  
                                        "A Mango-Shaped Space" book cover (Source)
I first learned about synesthesia in middle school when I read a book called A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass. It's about a young girl, Mia, who has a severe version of synesthesia, and how she comes to understand and appreciate her differences. While that synopsis sounds cheesy, it was incredibly interesting. One of my favorite parts is when she recounts the first time she realized that not everyone was like her. Mia's synesthesia meant that she could see a color with a number. It kept her from completing more complex math problems. Additionally, Spanish words had different colors than their English translations, making school incredibly difficult. I loved reading this book because it gave me my first insight into the synesthete experience.
Synæsthesia, synaesthesia                    
How a synesthete could see numbers and letters (Source)
 So, do you have synesthesia? I'm pretty sure I don't. But, maybe you do! You can find out by taking one of the tests in this link. But synesthesia can often be very subtle. So, there's a chance you have it and may never realize, even if you do take that quiz.

Not only that, but there are over 80 official types of synesthesia. One new form I read about is "Mirror-touch" synesthesia: when you see someone touched, you feel the sensation of being touched yourself. There's also "mirror-pain" synesthesia: when you can feel other people's pain. I feel like that would be very difficult to live with and gives a whole new layer to being empathetic.

Synesthesia meditation (Source)
                                                   
If you really want to experience synesthesia, like I do, there is one possibility: meditation. Studies show that the best way to cultivate synesthesia isn't through something like LSD, but actually through meditation. I think I know what I'm going to do this summer!

5 comments:

  1. This topic is fascinating. I have wondered what it would be like to experience something as unique as this. I'll have to join you in the mediation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about this before and always thought that it was so fascinating! It would be so cool to be able to experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool and I had no idea it was so common. I think it makes sense that meditation could allow you to rework your brain to develop synesthesia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took the quiz and I don't have it :( Wish I did though, seems so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not think I have this, but it is a very interesting phenomenon. The human brain is fascinating and always has new miracles to reveal. Very interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete