Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Why You're Addicted to TikTok

Every morning when you wake up, it's likely that your first thought is to check your phone. You probably check to see if you missed anything on Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, or even TikTok. Apps such as TikTok keep many people's eyes glued to their phones for hours on end, especially during isolation. But why is it so hard to stop scrolling? And why do we care so much about the amount of likes or views we get on everything we post?

The fifteen second long videos on TikTok are just long enough to hold our attention spans before we get bored and keep scrolling. It's filled with our favorite songs and funny creators. The "For You" page is quite literally just for you, as the company that created the app pays close attention to your behavior while scrolling and shows you videos that they think you'll like. However, there's more to this addiction inside your brain.

This is the chemical dopamine.
The chemical dopamine is made in our brains and is released when we experience something we enjoy, such as when we eat good food or have a social interaction that was successful. There are three dopamine pathways that reward the brain and release the chemical. These pathways associate the behavior carried out with the reward that resulted, which gets stronger each time there is a reward. This positive feedback may result from the likes we get on all social media platforms, which makes us want more.


The three reward pathways in the brain associated with dopamine.
Humans naturally have a pack mentality. The sense of approval that comes from likes on social media reinforce that your "pack" is accepting you, and your brain releases dopamine. On top of this, the unpredictable nature of apps such as TikTok leave us many opportunities to get rewards. We never know if the next notification we get will be a comment, like, new follower, or repost. But why does TikTok in particular consume so much of our time? It may be because you experience FOMO. FOMO is the fear of missing out on something, and a fear that another individual on social media may be experiencing rewards while you are not. Fear and the overall enjoyment of scrolling through TikTok is the reason why our screen time is so high. 
What's dangerous about this addiction?
A TED video shows that those who are addicted to social media have similar impairments in regions of their brains to those of drug addicts. There are problems in the areas that involve decision making, emotions, and attention spans. Phantom vibration syndrome is feeling an itch and thinking that it's a notification on your phone. In a TED study, 89% of participants said they experienced this feeling once every two weeks. In a University of Pennsylvania study, an experimental group was formed in which the participants were required to limit their social media use. They found that using less social media than usual leads to a decrease in loneliness and depression. When you think about it, this makes sense because posts on Instagram are pictures that people choose to make their lives look perfect. Another side effect of apps such as Tiktok is the shortening of our attention spans, says USC professor Julie Albright. "You'll just be in this pleasurable dopamine state, carried away. It's almost hypnotic, you'll keep watching and watching" She says about the app. The ability to scroll onto the next video to receive instant entertainment, and possibly a reward, make us less patient when trying to focus on other things such as movies. I can relate to this when I start a new movie or T.V. show and it takes a while for the action to start.

At the end of the summer before junior year I deleted the app Tiktok, because I realized how much of my time it consumed. However, since quarantine started, I shamefully downloaded it again and was immediately addicted to it. I found that without it I had a much easier time finishing essays and my math homework without stopping every ten minutes to watch "just a few" videos. Personally, I think that all social media should be used in moderation, especially those that are so addictive. Forming unhealthy study habits at such a young age, while our brains are still developing, is not worth it. Next time you find yourself on your phone past one in the morning, put your phone down and go to sleep. If you're on it in the middle of the day, go spend time with your friends or family instead. As Ferris Bueller once said, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

17 comments:

  1. Very interesting findings! The effects of "traditional" social media on self-confidence and happiness is fairly well studied, but TikTok seems to be fundamentally different. The link between it and shortened attention spans makes intuitive sense, and I would like to see some studies be conducted to further investigate the effects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool post Meghan! I must admit that I am a Tik Tok addict and that I have noticed a significant decrease in my attention span ever since I got hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have spent wayyy too much time on Tik Tok recently. I do notice myself skipping ahead in TV shows when there isn't very much action, now I know why. Very interesting article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting, having tik tok definitely impacted my attention span and made it harder for me to focus on things I had to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so interesting, especially because I am very addicted to tiktok. Now that I think about it, my attention span has gotten very low. It is very cool to know what is going on in my brain when I am on tiktok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an interesting post. I don't use tik tok personally, but I definitely am probably addicted to my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TikTok is definitely hypnotic. I find myself scrolling through the fyp for hours and not realizing it until its too late. Super cool article!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I'm on TikTok for too long so I end up getting the one TikTok that tells you to take a break. Really good article!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The timing for this article was perfect as many people, including me, have downloaded or increased use of TikTok during the pandemic. And I love the quote that you ended with as well. This article has inspired me to limit my phone use and spend more time with friends and family more time and sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found it very interesting that a fear of missing out is not just about missing out on an event but also about others receiving more recognition. As a species, humans strive to be recognized and the most important because it releases dopamine, and social media really is the perfect place for this to happen – it just comes with a lot of downsides too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the exact same. As TikTok has become the new platform for almost instantaneous fame, it seems too easy to get down about yourself when questioning why you haven't "made" it yet the same way other influencers have with such little individuality. With social media being a source of dopamine followed by a lethal feeling of disappointment and vice versa, I think it is possible that the unknown of what you're getting during those next 15 seconds make us itch for more

      Delete
  11. As someone who is still probably addicted to tiktok, this was super interesting to learn about. I never would have thought that hours of mindless scrolling through my for you page was actually due to biological pathways.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great article! It is crazy to me how our sense of joy boils down to producing a chemical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is super eye opening. It is crazy that we can apply science to the smallest things in our lives like being on an app for a super long time. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was really interesting to read and learn about. It was interesting when you said that positive feedback may result from the likes we get on all social media platforms

    ReplyDelete
  15. This article makes me realize how liberating it is to delete social media-- it has a biological hold on us. That's why, like described in the last paragraph, a lot of people re-download TikTok after deleting it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see comments saying the timing of this article is perfect a year ago, but it still is now. That's pretty crazy how tiktok is still so successful.

    ReplyDelete