Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Sun Sense

Those who know me on a personal level know my relationship with tanning. I love to tan; I will even plan my whole day around the optimal tanning hours, usually between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. (just in case you were wondering because I know you were). The second the UV hits even 5, you'll find me outside tanning. No matter where I am, I will always find a place to tan. Weather it is the beach, the pool, the concrete ground, my roof, one thing about me is I WILL ALWAYS be tanning. Although there are artificial ways to tan, laying out in the sun for extended periods of time is the most popular method for obtaining tanned skin. Whether it was intentional or not, you've probably experienced getting tanned, but do you know why and how your body got tanned? 


Tanning is the process of skin getting darker as a result of exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. There are two types of ultraviolet radiation emitted by the sun that affect skin: UVA and UVB. Both types of radiation can damage the skin upon exposure. To protect skin from the damage inflicted by UV radiation, melanin is produced. 

What is melanin, you may ask? Melanin is a polymer that comes from the amino acid tyrosine. This polymer is a pigment that protects skin from the harm of UV radiation by absorbing the radiation and converting it into heat energy. When UVB rays penetrate the epidermis, which is the outer layer of skin, skin cells are damaged. Cells located in the epidermis called melanocytes release melanin when in contact with UVB; this process is known as melanogenesis. A component of melanocytes are intracellular lysosome-like organelles in which melanin pigments are synthesized and stored, called melanosomes. Once stored, the melanin pigments are transferred to keratinocytes, which are cells that surround melanocytes. When skin is exposed to UV radiation, melanin production is stimulated as a mechanism to protect keratinocytes and prevent DNA damage by absorbing the harmful UV light and causing the skin to darken, resulting in a tan.



People aim for the bronzed look resulting from sunlight exposure, but there are downsides. Exposure to UV radiation can lead to skin cancer, usually later in life, by damaging the DNA present in skin cells. When the DNA is damaged, cells divide and replicate in a rapid, uncontrolled manner, causing cancer. The main types of skin cancer as a result of sun exposure are melanomabasal cell carcinoma, and squamous cell carcinoma. Exposure to UVA rays damages the protein collagen and fibers called elastin in the skin, which over time leads to premature aging. Sunburns, caused by UVB rays, result in red and inflamed skin because the body's immune system is trying to repair the damage caused to the skin by sending blood flow to the burned areas. Over time, the damaged skin cells peel away, revealing new, undamaged skin underneath. Sunburns are also a leading cause of premature aging. 


If you have ever experienced a sunburn, depending on your skin type, you may have noticed that after the initial burn healed, the area appeared tan. The common myth around sunburns is that the burn "turned into" a tan once healed, but this is incorrect. Either the tan is present during the burn but is just not visible, or when the skin is initially burned, damaged skin cells are replaced with new cells that have more melanin, which helps protect the skin from further damage. 

Protecting your skin from UVA and UVB rays is crucial to avoiding the negative effects of exposure to UV radiation, such as skin cancer or premature aging, as explained in the previous paragraph. One of the most common methods of sunlight protection is sunscreen. Sunscreen works by creating a protective barrier between your skin and UV radiation. The barrier created reflects and absorbs the UVA and UVB photons effectively, resulting in their inability to penetrate and damage the skin. Another method of protecting yourself from the harm of UV radiation is to stay inside; this is the only 100% effective method of sunlight protection. 


Although it may seem like sunbathing is all negative, there are benefits to sun exposure. Tanning is proven to improve an individual's mood. UV radiation stimulates endorphin production; endorphins are proteins that act as neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters block feelings of pain and promote feelings of happiness. Another neurotransmitter that is stimulated by sunlight is serotonin, which regulates mood and contributes to feelings of happiness. When sunlight enters one's eyes, serotonin production is stimulated by activating nerve cells in the eye called retinal ganglion cells. These cells contain a light-sensitive protein called melanopsin that responds to sunlight and sends signals to the brain's pineal gland to produce serotonin. This process effectively improves an individual's mood. Exposure to UVB radiation stimulates vitamin D production in the body; vitamin D is an essential vitamin for absorbing calcium. Many individuals experience vitamin D deficiency throughout the winter months as a result of staying inside. Tanning provides the body with an opportunity to restore the proper balance of vitamin D necessary for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.


As summer quickly approaches, if you are like me and can't help but tan, remember to sunbathe responsibly, applying sunscreen as needed. As hard as it may be to pull away from those harmful UV rays, make sure to only expose your skin to sunlight in moderation!

18 comments:

  1. It is very interesting to learn that sunlight and tanning can improve someone's mood! The information on serotonin and endorphin production was super cool, and I also loved learning about the different types of radiation (I only thought there was one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very fun read because I also enjoy tanning! It was really interesting to learn that UV exposure can also stimulate endorphin production, which helps explain why I get happy when tanning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to tan too! I did not know that there are two different types of UV rays, super interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved to tan and have heard people say that their burn will turn into a tan, so much so that finding out that it isn't true was super interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew that the two different types of UV rays had such different effects on the skin! I've always thought that a sunburn just "fades" into a tan so it was really interesting to understand the science behind how burned skin cells are replaced by cells with more melanin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I don't really get tan, I found this post really interesting, in that I never knew a burn doesn't actually turn into a tan. I also found it really cool that exposure to UV rays can stimulate endorphin production, improving someone's mood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know that there could be tanned skin underneath your burn, and that's why it "turns in to a tan", that's really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love tanning, so it was very reassuring to learn that it's not all bad and stimulates endorphins and serotonin! I also never knew exactly how sunscreen works, that was very interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was so interesting to learn more about tanning. Since I love to tan, this was super fun to read. I also never knew that a sunburn can fade to a tan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought the part about sunburns was super interesting, and I had never heard that before! I love tanning as well, and agree that it boosts my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was really interesting to learn about the different types of radiation and their effects. I also thought it was interesting how sunburns turning into tans was a myth and that the skin was either already tan underneath or more melanin was produced in the new cells.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is filled with lots of really interesting information that I think a lot of people can relate back to themselves! Well done! I always thought that once a sunburn has time to heal and calm down, it turns into a tan. Now I know that is not the case! I found it super interesting to learn about the true mechanisms behind why a sunburn may appear as a tan after it has had a few days to heal. I also thought it was really cool that UV radiation stimulates the production of neurotransmitters such as endorphins and serotonin. It is interesting to think that something that can have such a negative effect on humans (causing cancer), can actually be something that benefits your quality of life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a very well written blog post and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the whole thing! I was very surprised to learn that sunburn does not turn into a tan, which is what I believed until right now. It is very interesting to disprove a common misconception.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea there were 2 different UV types, and I always told my sister it was fine if we got burnt because it would just turn to tan, so that was a surprise that it doesn't! I thought it was cool how UV exposure relates to endorphin production too, because I definitely feel happier when it's sunny out

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a good topic idea! I really enjoyed reading this blog because I as well love to tan so I am passionate about this subject. That is really interesting what you said about how "the burn will turn to a tan" because I often use that line when my mom yells at me to put on sunscreen because I am burnt. Unfortunately I cannot use this excuse because as you said that is not true... instead it is just the damaged skin cells being replaced by new cells with more melanin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This blog post is really interesting! I did not know that there are different types of UV radiation. I think that it is incredibly interesting how a blood is sent to the skin when a sunburn occurs, which gives the red color to the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found this post really interesting as well! I have always been warned against the dangers of the sun and knew a little about the dangers of UV rays but learning more about why exactly they are so dangerous is facinating! I definitely will become more disciplined about wearing my sunscreen after reading this!!

    ReplyDelete