Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Help! I Think My Brain is Frozen...

Aghhh...My Head Hurts

I am sure that whoever is reading this has most definitely had Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuraliga at least once in their life. The voice inside your head probably just responded to that statement with extreme confusion and denial. Of course you have never had whatever that confusing name was, it sounds too serious to have affected you, right...? Well, I am here to tell you that you actually most likely have because in reality, it is simply just the scientific term for a brain freeze.   

What you think a brain freeze is


Have you ever wondered what that agonizing pain you feel in your head is after consuming a delicious, cold, refreshing treat on a hot summer day is? Although it only lasts for a short period of time, the pain can be quite unbearable. I am going to assume you know that it is a brain freeze. But what exactly does this even mean? A brain freeze, other wise known as an ice cream headache, cold neuralgia, or cold stimulus headache, is a an intense, but brief, pain located in the front of the head as a result of eating or drinking something cold. Such pain can arise from things such as ice cream, ice cubes, ice pops, frozen drinks, or even cold air. 

Let's take a deeper dive into what is actually happening inside that head of yours

But what is going on at the molecular level? For starters, no, your brain is not actually frozen, nor is your blood getting cold. In reality, your blood vessels are rapidly constricting (vasoconstriction) and rapidly widening (vasodilation) as a response to cold stimulus in the roof of your mouth or back of your throat. Subsequently, this activates pain receptors in the trigeminal nerve, or the nerve that perceives pain and temperature shifts from inside the mouth. Because these nerves are so sensitive, the extreme stimuli changes and proximity of these nerves causes them to react. Essentially, the trigeminal nerve sends a signal of pain and frigid temperatures to your consciousness which is then received and interpreted by the brain cortex. But why does this rapid dilation of blood vessels cause such sharp pain in the head? Well, the brain interprets this as head pain since the trigeminal nerve also transmits sensation to the head and scalp. In other words, your brain briefly malfunctions and misinterprets the rapid movements and cold stimuli for that excruciating pain you feel. Who knew your brain could make mistakes?! 

FUN FACT: Did you know the rapid constriction of blood vessels is a survival instinct used to maintain your body's core temperature? It is truly fascinating what our bodies are capable of doing!

What is really happening inside your brain

                                                         

                                

A closer look into the trigeminal nerve

The trigeminal nerve, or CN V, is the fifth cranial nerve and the largest one. It has three main branches, each of which serves the face's sensory innervation as its main purpose. The ocular (V1), maxillary (V2), and mandibular (V3) nerves are the various branches.

The Trigeminal Nerve/System

So, how can you stop this searing head pain?

One of the most common solutions you might have been told to stopping a brain freeze is placing your thumb on the roof of your mouth. I am here to tell you that this actually does in fact work! Do you know why? Well, putting your thumb on the roof of your mouth helps in transferring warmth to the area, alleviating the pain from the cold stimulus. Basically, any method that involves circulating warm air into your mouth and body will help in bringing mouth and throat temperature back to normal. This can be as simple as drinking a warm drink or covering your nose and mouth with your hands and breathing rapidly to increase the flow of warm air. 

A boy getting a brain freeze with ice cream!

                                               

Are there those more prone to getting brain freezes?

In a sense, yes there can be people who experience more pain or brain freezes more often than others. This really just means that they have a more sensitive trigeminal nerve than other people. Also, recent studies have shown that individuals who suffer from migraines are more often prone to brain freezes. More specifically, Dr. Jorge Serrador, a cardiovascular electronics researcher, explores this idea more closely in his research in the "FASEB Journal" (April 2012 Issue). Dr. Serrador claims that we already know migraine sufferers are more likely to suffer brain freezes after consuming something cold compared to those who never get migraines. The real mystery is what happens during a migraine vs. a brain freeze. Well, Serrador hypothesizes that actually, the same process most likely occurs or at least something very similar and vasodilation causes a rush of warm blood into brain tissue so that the brain remains warm and avoids any drastic temperature shifts. Moreover, Dr. Serrador and his team suggest that further research may finally lead to medications that can help treat or even cure migraines. Since dilated arteries result in a blood rush to the brain that causes immense pressure and pain, then a drug that constricts the blood vessels should reduce the pressure, ultimately alleviating the pain an individual feels. 

How common are brain freezes?

Believe it or not, only 30%-40% of people are susceptible to brain freezes. Isn't it weird to think about how there are people who have never experienced this before? I guess you might be more special than you think ;) 

So, next time you have a cold treat and feel that excruciating head pain, remember your body is trying to keep you alive!



17 comments:

  1. This post was especially interesting as I learned about vasoconstriction and cold receptors in my research for my own blog post. It is fascinating to think that we perceive a feeling that doesn't actually exist, and it is even more insane that only 30-40 percent of people experience them! I am part of that percent, and absolutely despise the feeling of brain freezes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really cool post to read! I never knew about the trick to put your thumb on the roof of your mouth, nevermind that it actually works! It is also so crazy that not everyone gets them, and I'm especially jealous of the people that don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought that brain freeze was something everyone experiences, so I found it super interesting that, in reality, only 30-40 percent of people experience brain freeze. I also had no idea that putting your thumb on the roof of your mouth helps with brain freeze. I never would have ever thought of trying that until reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this post because I never realized what actually caused a brain freeze! I've heard about the trick to put your thumb on the roof of your mouth, but never knew that it helped by transferring warmth to the receptors in your mouth. I'll definitely keep that in mind the next time I get a brain freeze!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed learning more about the science behind a brain freeze! It is crazy to me that some people may be more prone to having a brain freeze and some people haven't had one at all; I just assumed this was something common for everyone. I also didn't realize that circulating warm air in your body could help, so I'll definitely try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this! I found it really interesting that people who experience migraines are more prone to brain freezes! As someone who is constantly suffering from migraines, I was unaware of this. I also found it fascinating that only 30-40% of people experience brain freezes, I thought they were something experienced by everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know that people who suffer with migraines are more likely to experience brain freeze, and it's weird to think that migraines might feel similar to them if they are activated by the same process. And I didn't know that 60% of people might never have experienced one before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really interesting to read! I will definitely be trying out the solutions you suggested, I absolutely hate getting brain freezes. I never knew that a brain freeze was our brains misinterpreting the movements of blood vessels, and I never knew that some people don't get brain freezes - that was really cool to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading this post, because I have never had a brain freeze, so I never understood what all the fuss was about. I also find it interesting that even though I have a history of migraines, I don't get brain freezes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As someone who has never experienced a brain freeze, I thought that it was super interesting to read and learn about the scientific reasoning behind them! I thought that it was super intriguing how brain freezes could possibly be studied to find treatments for migraines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have definitely experienced a brain freeze, and they are absolutely terrible, but I never knew the science behind why I was feeling pain, so it's so cool to finally understand what's going on in the body!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea that so few people experienced brain freeze. It's really interesting to learn that the pain is actually just your body trying to protect itself. It's nice to learn more about something that I've experienced!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was super interesting to read! I have always been curious as to why exactly one can feel this unbearable pain every time they eat a cold treat. After reading this, I finally know! I had no idea it has something to do with rapidly constricting blood vessels which are ultimately linked to a survival instinct! I always assumed that those quick tricks to stop brain freezes were fake. Its good to know that these fixes will actually work and are scientifically proven!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought it was so interesting that the cold feeling in your throat can activate pain receptors, I never bothered to look into why I was feeling like that. I definitely never thought it was something so complex as brains misinterpreting the movements of blood vessels, and I'm happy to hear that there are real ways to fix it, I always had thought they were just old wives tales!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post is incredibly interesting! I had no idea that a brain freeze was actually a result of blood vessels that constrict and widen rapidly. I find it really cool that the human body uses these special techniques for survival.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know that not everybody gets brain freezes because I get them all of the time. I also found it super interesting that getting a brain freeze is the brain's way of protecting itself from colder temepratures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that I only have had one brain freeze in my life... so I guess I'm lucky based on many of these other comments lol! I get migraines frequently however so I was surprised to learn that they are connected. I wonder what makes the trigeminal more sensitive in some people compared to others.

    ReplyDelete