Sunday, June 1, 2014

Rand Park in Progress

We have officially started planting in Rand Park! This is a big step for us students and STEM in general. My group (Ben, both Kevins, Erica, and me) are working on a small garden on the edge of Tony's Brook. We spent a little over a day digging up grass and evening out the dirt and began planting and watering some Joe Pye Weed on Wednesday. We already have a full row of it bordering the brook. Joe Pye Weed (Eutrochium purpureum) is native to New Jersey. It flowers from July to September and typically grows from 4-7 feet tall. Joe Pye Weed requires part or full sun. Its pinkish-purple flowers are very attractive to butterflies (and they have an added bonus: the flowers are vanilla-scented!). It is said that Indians used Joe Pye Weed to treat kidney stones and other urinary tract ailments. It is also deer resistant, drought tolerant, good for privacy, and low maintenance (perfect for summers without students to tend the gardens). It looks like Rand Park has a bright, more colorful future ahead!



1 comment:

  1. I did not know that Joe Pye Weed was used to treat kidney stones---how interesting! I do know that bumble bees and honey bees love it. I have it in my backyard and love to watch all the activity when it's in full bloom late summer. I see bumble bees tucking themselves in at night on my Joe Pye Weed all the time...hope you get to see that, too! Nice post, Emma.

    ReplyDelete