Monday, May 27, 2019

Can You Handle The Heat?

I love spicy food, and I've always wondered why some people can tolerate spicy food while others can't. You know that painful burning sensation that comes with the consumption of spicy food?


That feeling like your mouth is on fire comes from compounds known as capsaicinoids, or simply, capsaicin. Capsaicinoids interact with a special protein known as TRPV1 located on nerve cells' surfaces. Usually this protein is activated by physical heat that would signal the brain to respond to dangerously high temperatures. Thus, when capsaicinoids interact with TRPV1 they are sending the same signal to the brain, despite there being no actual physical heat present. The receptors that capsaicin bind to are not only found in your mouth, but all over your body! This is why after touching a hot pepper, you don't want to touch your eyes. Also, pepper spray, also known as capsicum spray, uses capsicum extracted from chili peppers as an active ingredient.



Many people seek this burning sensation, even crave it. This is a result of how our brains work- capsaicinoids trick the brain. Capsaicinoids produce neurotransmitters, one of which is Substance P that transmits pain. The brain responds to this pain signal by releasing endorphins, your body's natural way of relieving pain (dopamine is also released, the chemical responsible for the sensation of reward and happiness). All these endorphins released cause one to experience a sense of euphoria that many describe to be similar to a "runner's high".

You also may be wondering, is it possible to build your tolerance to spice? Yes! Essentially, you have to consume more spice to get your body used to the feeling/sensation capsaicin produces. TRPV1 regulates the feeling that capsaicin produces and lowers the amount of energy that causes the receptors to activate (causing the painful feeling), but continuous exposure will desensitize the nerve endings.

So the next time you open that bag of Takis, don't be afraid of that painful burning sensation, just remember that you're building up your endurance and spice tolerance-what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this blog post. As someone who is not very good at handling her spice, it's really useful to know that I can build up my tolerance and that it is not something that I am born with. Maybe now I'll eat takis so that one day I can actually enjoy them while I'm eating them instead of wanting to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very interesting blog post! I am a huge lover of spicy foods, so it was interesting to learn about capsaicinoids and how they are the compounds that produce that burning sensation. I am definitely craving some spicy foods now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woww, I always thought I was just imagining it when my spice tolerance would increase after I went through a spicy-food phase. Guess it wasn't just my mind playing tricks on me! Very interesting post, Grace:)

    ReplyDelete