Tuesday, June 19, 2018

A Not So Holy Insect: The Praying Mantis

I came across the lanky-looking dude below in my very own backyard. I was walking along the steps when I suddenly jumped back, noticing its long limbs and beady eyes staring up at me! Upon further research I found that it was a praying mantis, a Chinese Mantis to be more specific.

Clearly an adult; they grow to be about 9 cm!

These mantises were brought to this continent in the 1890's, and have made themselves at home ever since. Mantises look pretty nice--I mean they are praying, so they must be holy...right?
Female mantises are ferocious. After mating with a male, she may rip his head off. Anthropologists presume it has to do with making mating more feasible, but they also know that there is no need for it to occur in the process. Wild. But they have a good side--for us at least. The praying mantis feeds on insects that are after our flowers and fruits in our gardens, so they aren't all that bad. Well, it's up to you. Are mantises ruthless cannibals or lanky human helpers?

No comments:

Post a Comment