Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Why Does This Jacket Smell Like Childhood??!!

You are packing again for summer camp, and frantically searching for the huge suitcase reserved for these two week long excursions. After finally spotting it in a dusty corner of your basement, you lug the giant purple suitcase up two flights of stairs and into your room. Finally ready to start packing, you unzip the suitcase and whip open the cover. With one inhale, everything from last summer at camp comes rushing back--you remember the cabin chats, the ropes courses, the friends you made, and the s'mores you roasted. Woah. Your first thought is excitement and longing to return to camp, followed by confusion as to what just happened. Was it magic? Was it the universe telling you that you will have a great time at camp? The answers to both of these questions is no. This experience was purely driven by science.

A Thought That Must Be Going Through Your Head Right Now

To begin explaining this incredible phenomenon, we must first understand brain anatomy. When a smell enters the body through the nostrils as odorant molecules, the molecules dissolve into the mucus in the nasal cavity and bind to a receptor with a socket perfectly shaped to fit the molecule. This all happens in the cilia of dendrites located on bipolar neurons. The attachment of the odorant molecule results in action potentials that navigate the olfactory bulbs on their way to the thalamus, the limbic system, and lastly to the temporal lobes where the scent is interpreted and integrated. To better understand neuron structure and function, click here.


Diagram of the Nasal Cavity and Olfactory Bulb

The olfactory bulb extends from the nose to the bottom of the brain. It directly connects to the amygdala and hippocampus. The hippocampus is the place where short-term memories are stored, and the amygdala is responsible for the production of moods and emotions. Like peanut butter and jelly, these two parts of the brain work together to produce something magnificent--memories and emotions generated solely from smell. Scent is very unique when it enters the brain because it is one of the only senses that has connections to the hippocampus and amygdala. Auditory, tactile, and visual information do not pass through these parts of the brain. Taste functions in a similar manner as smell, given that the taste cortex (takes in and processes taste) is connected to the hippocampus.

 Diagram of the Regions of the Brain Involved in Interpreting Olfactory Information

Intrigued and curious about this process, I decided to conduct an experiment using my peers as guinea pigs. I covered one cotton ball with CVS Kids Clear Spray Sunscreen, and another with CVS Baby Powder. I asked every participant to close their eyes, smell the cotton balls one at a time, and immediately write down what came to mind when smelling the scents. 

The best part of this investigation was seeing the incredible reactions each participant had to the scents. I counted every instance a classmate mentioned a certain memory, so these numbers do not add up to the total number of people interviewed. For the sunscreen, seven out of the twenty people participating said that the scent brought them back to the beach, six said it reminded them of a particular summer day, three of them remembered their childhood, and five had other, abstract experiences. These results were exactly as I expected, given that this type of sunscreen is primarily used in the summer, at the beach, and during childhood. 
CVS Kids Clear Spray Sunscreen

The baby powder, on the other hand, did not reap the results I expected. The reason for this is primarily my fault for not using baby oil instead (it soaks into the cotton ball more easily) but also the participants' faults for breathing too hard and inhaling all of the powder. Only two of the twenty interviewees were reminded of an experience with babies, four remembered childhood, nine felt nothing, three were brought back to a sweet time baking or sniffing sugarcane, three remembered doing laundry, and two had other, very different experiences.


CVS Baby Powder

In the end, after awkwardly asking strangers to smell my mysterious scents, the beauty of the human brain is majestically evident. It is unbelievable how simple molecules can trigger memories thought to be long forgotten.

Super helpful and awesome links!!!:


11 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I've always wondered about those smells that remind me of things

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this! I've always been intrigued by this, so your explanation was very helpful. I also think your experiment was very interesting and clever! I want to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it was sunscreen!! But really, this is so cool and I've always wondered about this, so this was really great to read! This is something that happens so often in everyday life and isn't given much thought to, but it's fascinating to learn the science behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that was so interesting and so easy to relate to! It was so smart to include an experiment of your own because it really helps to put things into perspective. Now I really want to try sniffing some sunscreen or something to see what happens and if any memories are ignited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this! I definitely connect certain smells to specific memories/experiences, so it was really interesting to read about why this happens and how it works in the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like most people who read this, I also could totally relate. Learning about how the brain correlates smells to memories or past events was very intriguing. Now, whenever I smell something and it provokes a "flashback" I will know the science behind it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just like Paul's post, this one made me realize how complex our brains really are. The fact that our brain processes a smell, saves that smell and then stores it along with a memory is a bit mind-blowing. It also makes me feel better about when I connect a moment with a certain smell to another memory that may have no correlation except that same smell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was personally my favorite article, mainly because it made me think about summer vacation. In all seriousness though, I think that this article was extremely well written, fun, and informative. I really liked how you traced the odorant molecules from the suitcase, up the nose, and to the brain where it was integrated. I also thought it was very cool how you conducted your own experiment, which showed some very interesting results. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this post! I think it's so interesting that the nose is directly connected to the hippocampus, I wonder why it is only with the nose and not the ears and eyes as well?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like how you conducted your own experiment and think that it was set up very well! It was really cool that you were able to get the results you were hoping for with the sunscreen. I think one of the reasons the baby powder didn't get the results you wanted was because not everyone may have memories from early childhood. This got me wondering if scent can make people they wouldn't otherwise remember.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like how you conducted your own experiment and think that it was set up very well! It was really cool that you were able to get the results you were hoping for with the sunscreen. I think one of the reasons the baby powder didn't get the results you wanted was because not everyone may have memories from early childhood. This got me wondering if scent can make people they wouldn't otherwise remember.

    ReplyDelete