Thursday, June 2, 2016

Dolphin’s Snot Senses Energy in Potential Prey

Ever since I was little I had a weird fascination with dolphins. Going to the aquarium I was always intrigued by the dolphin tanks. Then at age six, at a trip to the Bahamas, I swam with a dolphin for the first time. This swim is what really sparked my interest. The next week when I was back in school I went to the library and began picking out all these books about dolphins, none of them that detailed – I was only six. As the years progressed I continued taking out books and researching these magnificent creatures. As I read more and more I realized how intelligent dolphins truly are. The way dolphins have contributed to the world are endless. Dolphins keep company with boats, have been conscripted by the military, and found a role in animal-assisted therapy. They have also helped treasure hunters locate treasure and saved surfers from shark attacks. Besides all of this dolphins have also had a unique evolutionary path, having them end up similar to humans. How can you not be fascinated by these aquatic mammals?
Recently upon looking at some articles about aquatic life I stumbled upon one talking about how dolphins, Delphinidae, are able to track their prey. Surprisingly, their secret weapon may be snot. In order to track their prey, dolphins employ the animal equivalent of a sonar. They do so by emitting a series of quick, high-frequency sounds. Research suggest that these click are made by forcing air over tissues in their nasal passages to the seal blowhole. In the nasal passage there are lumps of tissue called dorsal bursae. While the dolphin is blowing these lumps collide and vibrate, producing the dolphin’s clicks, chirps, and whistles. It is now apparent that without the mucus it would impossible for the dolphins to produce such a high pitch sound, but what happens in the nasal passages remain unclear.

No comments:

Post a Comment