Friday, May 16, 2014

Our Freedom to Expand

With our small scale aquaponics system in the classroom, we have the freedom to conduct our own experiments and alter the circumstances of our individual projects. Originally, everyone started out with the same set up: One beta fish and wheatgrass seeds. Following the tragic death of my beta fish, Tea Cake, I was faced with many decisions for what to do next. I researched different types of fish that would work well in my system and was very curious about having more than one fish at a time. I spoke to an employee at a local pet store in Bloomfield about the types of fish that would not only provide for the plants and thrive in a small closed environment, but also could live with other fish. I finally decided on guppies, and now have two active fish that provide more than enough waste for my plants, which now include watermelon and coneflowers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment